10 Chapter 9: Email in commerce and samples
Communication is the essence of everyday life. There are different types of communication and each type is equally important in its own way. Business communication is an inherent part of every organization. No business can function in the absence of a strong and able communication system. And with the advent of different modes and means of communication, email accounts have become an indispensable part of business writing. Quite an obvious choice, because it is quick and can serve as a documented evidence of the day-to-day transactions and daily interactions between client and organization or even between the employees within an organization.
So in a nutshell, today, E-mail is common in business and particularly, in estalishing, developing and maintaining social relationshps.
This chapter provides you with both business and social email samples that will give you the basic format and others that will help you understand better how to write one yourself.
1.How to Write a Business Email
The basic steps involved in writing a business email are as follows:
– Know whom you’ll be writing the email to. Get the names, titles and spellings right.
– Once you know the person, you’ll know what kind of tone you need to use with the person. If the person is a client, a formal tone of letter writing is recommended. If it’s one of your colleagues (same level) you may use a casual tone, but make sure it’s not over friendly.
– If you’re writing a business to business email, the tone that you use reflects the attitude and the type of communication that is used in your organization, so be cautious.
– As in all types of formal writing, avoid flowery language. Stick to the point, because no one has the time to read a long email that is heading nowhere!
2. Email etiquette is the way in which you communicate via email. There are two types of communications, one a personal email, to friends, family, etc…, and the other is business.
When writing a business email, you should bear in mind the following tips:
– Stay on topic. Use paragraphs to break up subjects.
– Break up text for easier reading. A few lines at a time is enough.
– Use links only where necessary in text.
– Always check spelling and grammar. Just reread quickly as if you were speaking.
– Use standard business fonts, preferably medium size. 10 or 12 point fonts, not the smaller sizes. Some email software can’t read other fonts.
– Paste text from Word if it’s easier for you to write and edit that way.
– When sending a business email, make sure it looks like a business email. People can mistake anything for spam, so give good presentation.
– Use formal language in any business email. Anything else will not be appreciated by people who have to read it. And
– Don’t include large numbers of links. Too many can put the reader off.
– Don’t use graphics to any great extent in your message. Like fonts, some software can’t read them.
– Don’t do lengthy emails. More isn’t better, and can confuse readers. Be thoughtful about how you express your message, and go for briefer emails.
– Don’t use all upper case. It’s bad etiquette, and means you’re shouting at the reader.
– Don’t use text language, ever, in any business message. It looks absurd, and reduces the credibility to the message.
– Don’t send anything without checking it. Errors are easy enough, and you’ll usually find something.
Of course the way you address your best friend is the same as you would your superior. Do not type in all caps, that is considered shouting. When sending a business email, make sure you use correct grammar and punctuation. Keep in mind whom you are addressing when sending an email.
3.1. To: Email address of first recipient
Try not to use the cc: field unless the recipient in the cc: field knows why they are receiving a copy of the message. Using the cc: field can be confusing since the recipients might not know who is supposed to act on the message. Also, when responding to a cc: message, should you include the other recipient in the cc: field as well? This will depend on the situation. In general, do not include the person in the cc: field unless you have a particular reason for wanting this person to see your response. Again, make sure that this person will know why they are receiving a copy.
3.3. The Bcc:
When sending an email mailing, some people place all the email addresses in the To: field. There are two drawbacks to this practice: (1) the recipient knows that you have sent the same message to a large number of recipients, and (2) you are publicizing someone else’s email address without their permission. One way to get round this is to place all addresses in the Bcc: field. However, the recipient will only see the address from the To: field in their email, so if this was empty, the To: field will be blank and this might look like spamming. You could include the mailing list email address in the To: field, or even better, if you have Microsoft Outlook and Word you can do a mail merge and create one message for each recipient. A mail merge also allows you to use fields in the message so that you can for instance address each recipient personally. For more information on how to do a Word mail merge, consult the Help in Word.
3.4. Subject: Mention in one line, the purpose of writing the email, so as to grab the attention of the intended recipient. You may explicitly mention the name of the person in the subject line using the acronym FAO (for the attention of) in case the recipient has a generic email account.
3.5. Salutation: Dear Sir/Madam,
This is after all, a form of letter writing, so use the same letter writing tips that you’ve learned in school. In this first paragraph, introduce yourself and the purpose of writing the email. Be brief.
In the second paragraph, give the details of why you’re writing the email and what exactly you hope to achieve by it. Again, be brief and to the point.
The third paragraph may or may not be required. It is just to thank the reader and hope, once again, that your purpose is fulfilled.
3.6. Closing Salutation: Sincerely,
Your name, or an email signature that your organization may have assigned you.
Example 1: Formal
Dear Sir/ Madam,
I read on your web site that you offer Music CD copying for large quantities of CDs. I’d like to inquire about the procedures involved in these services. Are the files transferred online, or are the titles sent by CD to you by standard mail? How long does it usually take to produce approximately 500 copies? Are there any discounts on such a large quantity?
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I look forward to your response.
Sales Manager, Young Talent Inc.
(709) 567 – 3498
Example 2: Informal
At 16.22 01/07/20… +0000, you wrote:
> I hear you’re working on the Smith account. If you need any information don’t hesitate to get in > contact with me.
Listen, we’ve been working on the Smith account and I was wondering if you could give me a hand? I need some inside information on recent developments over there. Do you think you could pass on any information you might have?
Account Manager, Tri-State Accounting
(698) 345 – 7843 .
More Business Email Examples :
CC: Accounts Payable
Subject: Request for copy of invoice
I’m LMN from the Accounts Payable department at GHI. Ltd. I understand that we have an invoice outstanding with your company since 07/01/2010. This email is to request you for a copy of the invoice, so that we can clear it for payment at the earliest.
First of all, apologies for the delay in payment. The accounts team has been reshuffled and this case came to my notice just an hour ago and I am writing to you immediately. The invoice in question is invoice number 246849, for Mr. JKI who stayed at your hotel for a period of 4 days. That is, from 06/28/20… to 07/01/20….
We cannot seem to locate the invoice, so I request you to email me a copy of the invoice, so that I can issue the payment right away. Please send it to the email address mentioned below and mark it for my attention. Once again, sincere apologies for the delay.
In the next sample, you will see how to respond to such an email.
CC: Accounts Credit
Subject: FAO-LMN: Copy of invoice
This is in reference to the email that you sent me this morning. First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the initiative of asking for the invoice copy.
As requested by you, I have attached a copy of the invoice 246849. I’m sure you have our bank details.
DYU Group of Hotels
ENGLISH- VIETNAMESE PHRASES
1. I researched, drafted and amended regulations, wrote press releases, and was responsible for office communi-cations and correspondence.
1 Tôi nghiên cứu, soạn thảo và sửa đổi quy định, viết thông cáo báo chí, và chịu trách nhiệm cho các thông tin liên lạc văn phòng và thư từ.
2. Additional writing samples and my resume are attached. If I can provide you with any further information on my background and qualifications, please let me know.
2. Các mẫu văn bản bổ sung và hồ sơ của tôi được đính kèm.Nếu tôi có thể cung cấp cho ông/bà bất kỳ thông tin thêm về bản thân và trình độ của tôi, xin vui lòng cho tôi biết.
3. Thank you for taking the time to review my resume. I have recently graduated from University and I am currently looking for a job in your area.
3. Cảm ơn ông/ bà đã dành thời gian xem xét hồ sơ của tôi. Gần đây tôi đã tốt nghiệp Đại học và tôi hiện đang tìm kiếm một công việc trong khu vực của ông/ bà.
4. It is said that a fish and a guest begin to smell after three days. I stayed for two weeks and not a single murmur of protest from any of you.
4. AlphaNgười ta nói rằng một con cá và một vị khách bốc mùi sau ba ngày. Tôi đã ở hai tuần và không một tiếng xì xầm khó chịu của bất kỳ ai trong nhà ông bà.
5. If you have questions regarding my resume or any thing else about myself please feel free to call me or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Nếu ông /bà muốn hỏi gì về hồ sơ của tôi hoặc về tôi, xin vui lòng gọi cho tôi hoặc gửi email cho tôi vào email@example.com.
6. In addition to my enthusiasm, I will bring to the position strong writing skills, assertiveness and the ability to encourage others to work cooperatively with the departments.
6. Ngoài sự nhiệt tình của tôi, tôi sẽ mang đến vị trí công việc kỹ năng văn bản thuần thục, sự quyết đoán, và khả năng để khuyến khích người khác làm việc hợp tác với các phòng ban.
7. After speaking with you and the group, I believe that I would be a perfect candidate for this position, offering the quick learning and adaptability that is needed for a diversified position.
7. Sau khi nói chuyện với ông và tập đoàn, tôi tin rằng tôi sẽ là một ứng cử viên hoàn hảo cho vị trí này, có khả năng nhanh chóng học tập và sự thích ứng cần thiết cho một vị trí đa dạng.
8. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to interview me and to share information on the opportunity and your company.
8. Tôi chân thành đánh giá cao ông đã dành thời gian để phỏng vấn tôi và chia sẻ thông tin về các cơ hội và công ty của ông.
9. I neglected to mention during my interview that I had worked for two summers as a temporary office worker. This experience helped me to develop my secretarial and clerical skills.
9. Tôi quên đề cập trong cuộc phỏng vấn của tôi là tôi đã làm việc hai mùa hè như là một nhân viên văn phòng tạm thời. Kinh nghiệm này đã giúp tôi phát triển các kỹ năng thư ký và nhân viên văn phòng của tôi.
10. It is my pleasure to welcome you to this T&D Trading Company. I hope you will quickly adjust and adapt yourself to the new surroundings. Please do not hesitate to ask the other staff about anything you may have doubts about.
10. Tôi vui mừng chào đón anh/ chị đến với Công ty Thương mại T & D này. Tôi hy vọng anh/chị sẽ nhanh chóng điều chỉnh chính mình và thích nghi với môi trường mới. Xin đừng ngần ngại hỏi các nhân viên khác về bất cứ điều gì anh/chị có thể có nghi ngờ.
11. We are a dynamic company that thrives on close cooperation between members of the company.
11. Chúng tôi là một công ty năng động, phát triển mạnh nhờ hợp tác chặt chẽ giữa các thành viên của công ty.
12. Your job in Customers Relations means that you must know the company staff and procedures well so that you can deal with what the customers want.
12. Công việc của anh/chị trong Phòng Quan hệ Khách hàng có nghĩa là bạn phải biết rõ các nhân viên và thủ tục của công ty cũng vì vậy mà bạn có thể ứng phó với những gì khách hàng muốn.
13. I wish to thank you from the depth of my heart for your ungrudging moral support and help in different ways for making the school function a grand success.
13. Từ đáy lòng tôi xin cảm ơn ông vvef sự hỗ trợ tinh thần vô bờ bến và sự giúp đỡ của ông bằng nhiều cách khác nhau đã làm cho buổi họp trường thành công lớn.
14. Congratulations on your new position with the Sunshine Agency. I’m sure you will be an asset to their staff, using your experience and organizational skills as well as your easy going personality.
14. Chúc mừng vị trí mới của anh/chị với Đại lý Sunshine. Tôi chắc rằng anh/chị sẽ là một tài sản trong những nhân viên của họ, sử dụng kinh nghiệm và các kỹ năng tổ chức cũng như tính cách cở mở của anh/chị.
15. I know you always wished for a boy, but times are changing. Girls are becoming more popular with parents.
15. Tôi biết ông bà luôn luôn mong muốn cho một cậu con trai, nhưng thời cuộc đã thay đổi. Con gái đang trở nên phổ biến hơn với các bậc cha mẹ.
16. The reasons are the social awareness created through media about equality of sexes. The women are making remarkable strides world over because discrimination has been weakened.
16. Lý do là nhận thức xã hội được tạo ra thông qua các phương tiện truyền thông về bình đẳng giới tính. Phụ nữ đang có những bước tiến đáng chú ý trên toàn thế giới bởi vì sự phân biệt đối xử đã suy yếu.
17. I have no words to express my grief for you on the death of your dear husband, Bill. He fought a brave battle against cancer in the last days of his life. His cheer and refusal to fear must have worried death itself. Such is the true warrior of life.
17. Tôi không có từ để bày tỏ sự đau buồn của tôi với bà về cái chết của người chồng thân yêu của bà, Bill. Ông đã chiến đấu dũng cảm chống lại căn bệnh ung thư trong những ngày cuối của cuộc đời. Việc ông vui vẻ từ chối sự sợ hãi đã làm cho cái chết cũng phải ngại ngùng. Đó là những chiến binh thực sự của cuộc sống.
18. I am writing to extend my deepest sympathies to you and your family. I really was very sad to hear about David. He was such a wonderful man.
18.Tôi viết thư này để gửi đến bà gia đình những lời chia buồn sâu sắc nhất.Tôi rất buồn khi nghe về David. Ông thực là một người tuyệt vời
19. I had the honor and the pleasure to know your husband and I was very sorry to hear about his passing away.
19. Tôi đã có vinh dự và niềm vui được biết chồng của bà và tôi rất tiếc khi nghe tin ông qua đời
20. I had the greatest respect for him and will miss working with him and playing golf with him, his generous nature and sharing his remarkable sense of humor.
20. Tôi rất kính trọng ông ấy và sẽ nhớ đã làm việc và chơi golf với ông ấy; nhớ bản tính hào phóng và nhớ đã chia sẻ tính hài hước đáng kể của ông ấy.
4.1. Answer the following questions:
1. Why is email so popular in the present day business transactions?
2. What are parts of an email?
3. What is the Bcc: field? What is the use of this field?
4. Could you list the do’s and the don’ts in writing and sending emails?
4.2. Read and translate the following Email into Vietnamese
2.1. Job-related letters
2.1.1. Cover Letter With Resume
Dear Sir or Madam,
I read your job posting for a Communications Director with interest.
In my position as Communications Director for XYZ Company, I wrote articles for the company website, managed guest author submissions, and wrote and sent a weekly email newsletter to subscribers.
While Assistant Communications Director for ABC Corporation, I researched, drafted and amended regulations , wrote press releases, and was responsible for office communications and correspondence.
I also have extensive experience writing on a freelance basis on labour issues, which, I believe, would be an ideal match for this position. Articles are available for your review at: www.http:// oes.edu.vn
Additional writing samples and my resume are attached. If I can provide you with any further information on my background and qualifications, please let me know.
I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your consideration.
NGUYEN TRAN PHAN ANH
Address N. 8 Nam Thanh Cong, Dong Da
Home Phone 04 83678215
Cell Phone: 0904055077
2.1.2. Letter of thank for reviewing resume
Thank you for taking the time to review my resume. I have recently graduated from University and I am currently looking for a job in your area.
I am interested in an entry level position with ABCD Company. I have heard that ABCD is a wonderful company to work for and I hope that I can join the team.
If you have questions regarding my resume or any thing else about myself please feel free to call me or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Again, thank you for reviewing my resume. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.
2.1.3. Letter of Thank for Job Offer
Thank you so much for hiring me for the teaching assistant position. I appreciate the time you took to interview me, and I am very glad to be working for you.
I look forward to starting my position and, once again, I’d like to thank you for the great opportunity.
2.1.4. Letter Thank for Job Interview
It was very enjoyable to speak with you about the assistant account executive position at the Smith Agency. The job, as you presented it, seems to be a very good match for my skills and interests. The creative approach to account management that you described confirmed my desire to work with you.
In addition to my enthusiasm, I will bring to the position strong writing skills, assertiveness and the ability to encourage others to work cooperatively with the department. My artistic background will help me to work with artists on staff and provide me with an understanding of the visual aspects of our work.
I understand your need for administrative support. My detail orientation and organizational skills will help to free you to deal with larger issues. I neglected to mention during my interview that I had worked for two summers as a temporary office worker. This experience helped me to develop my secretarial and clerical skills.
I appreciate the time you took to interview me. I am very interested in working for you and look forward to hearing from you about this position.
2.1.5. Letter of thank for job interview follow-up
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to talk to me about the Senior Programmer Analyst position with D&T Company. I appreciate your time and consideration in interviewing me for this position.
After speaking with you and the group, I believe that I would be a perfect candidate for this position, offering the quick learning and adaptability that is needed for a diversified position.
In addition to my enthusiasm for performing well, I would bring the technical and analytical skills necessary to get the job done.
I am very interested in working for you and look forward to hearing from you once the final decisions are made regarding this position. Please feel free to contact me at anytime if further information is needed. My cell phone number is 0904- 111-1111.
Thank you again for your time and consideration.
2.1.6. Letter Withdrawing Application for Employment
Thank you very much for considering me for the position of Job Title with Company Name. However, I would like to withdraw my application for the job.
I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to interview me and to share information on the opportunity and your company.
Again, thank you for your consideration and the time you shared.
2.1.7. Letter to welcome a new staff member
It is my pleasure to welcome you to this T&D Trading Company. I hope you will quickly adjust yourself to the new surroundings. Please do not hesitate to ask the other staff about anything you may have doubts about.
We are a dynamic company that thrives on close cooperation between members of the company. Your job in Customers Relations means that you must know the company staff and procedures well so that you can deal with what the customers want. So familiarize yourself with all aspects of the company. Mrs. Dzung will help you get started.
Once again, welcome aboard T& D.
2.2. Letter of thanks
2.2.1. Thank for Moral Support
Dear Mr. ..,
I wish to thank you from the depth of my heart for your ungrudging moral support and help in different ways for making the school function a grand success.
It was the first function for a new school and had to be really good to capture public support. There was nobody to even encourage me hold the function. That is how it is with life. We often had to go it alone. If your support and help had not been then, the function would have turned out to be a failure one.
Once again I thank you. I have decided to co-opt you on the management committee of our school. Please do not refuse. Your generous ideas will give us a boost always.
With thanks and love.
2.2.2. Letter of thanks for hospitality
I thank you very much for the warmth and hospitality you showed me on my visit to your place last month. Not for a moment did I feel uneasy or unwanted guest.
It is said that a fish and a guest begin to smell after three days. I stayed for two weeks and not a single murmur of protest from any of you. I can not forget those outings and those games. The delicacy of the food you served to me is still lingering in my tongue. Your children are such sweet things.
My wife and children are willing to extend their wishes to all of you. Kindly reciprocate the visit by coming to our place during vacation.
2.2.3. Letter of thanks for a gift
Thank you very much for your thoughtful gift of a copy of the Collins Cobuild Dictionary.
I find it is a very useful dictionary of contemporary usage. There are words in common currency discussed in simple language. Their usage is explained through contexts and there are notations for pronunciation and grammar. Now, there is no need to run after English teachers to ask for meanings. For a person like me who is in the process of learning the English language, your gift is of great help and timely one. More over it is befitting your status as a lettered man. I have already got the dictionary bound.
Thank you very much again.
2.3. Letter of congratulation
2.3.1. Congratulations, Personal
I heard that you just closed on the shop on TD Street that has been on the market for three years. And that you opened a new larger one MT Street. Well done!
I know you spent a lot of time with the sellers, working with them to make the property more appealing. Your patience and persistence has finally paid off. I’m so happy for you!
2.3.2. Congratulations on new position
Congratulations on your new position with the Sunshine Agency. I’m sure you will be an asset to their staff, bringing your experience and organizational skills as well as your easy going personality.
You will be greatly missed here, but I speak for the whole team in wishing you all the best in your new endeavor!
2.3.3. Congratulations on promotion
My wife and I would like to congratulate you on your recent promotion to Regional manager. This is indeed a coveted position and we are sure you will do a good job.
The last five years when you were Area Sales manger, your company enjoyed a good turnover of business because of your innovative methods of increasing sales. We believe you can be even more effective in your new position. We look forward to even better years.
Once again, congratulation and best wishes from all of us here.
2.3.4. Letter of congratulation on graduation
Please accept my heartiest congratulation on your successful graduation of MBA at HARVARD UNIVERSITY. I also heard that you are one of the top three best students selected by the University. This news doubled my happiness. On top of it, I also heard that you have joined Microsoft Corporation as its Country Manager for Sri Lanka.
I think that your dreams are materializing one by one. That means you will be nearby for me to come and gossip with you and play tennis. Nothing succeeds like success, it is said.
This new responsibilities will give you tremendous power as you will have a country-wide network under you. Since you are the country manager, you are a virtual king. But do not let the power go to the head. As you are a student of history, you need not be reminded that Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Now, you are safe in your new position. And I feel that this is the right time to take care your parents. Let them be with you so that they will get the best of attention and your affection.
With best wishes,
2.3.5. Congratulation on one selected for a salesman post
I am extremely delighted to know that you have been selected as a salesman at the Malacca Cement Co. This is an opportunity for a young man like you to stand on his own feet and learn how to deal with people in general and customers in particular.
You have asked me for advice on how to proceed. As you know, your main task will be to win the goodwill and customers for your company. You must argue your case convincingly to bring out the merits of your company. Do not exaggerate because clients can see through this. Say how in a practical way the client is gaining by buying from you. Probably you are the only company paying for the transport or something like the sort.
Your experience as you go along will teach you the permutations of human dealings. There is also a fine book which might be exploited-Dale Carnegie’s How to win friends and succeed in Life. But no advice or book can do what the job of learning does.
Wish you all the best in all your endeavors in your life.
2.3.6. Congratulation on an award
I cannot quite express my great joy at your receiving the Mega Award for popularization of science. Your articles on scientific topics like computers, lasers, space-age and hi-tech communication have become very popular, especially among school going children. Few of these articles have found their way into text-books. You have rendered a yeoman service to the cause of sciences. For your insightfulness and valuable contribution, a science-journal has noted that you are m one of the idols of Vietnam.
You have made all your college-mates proud. May you continue to succeed and make a mark in the international field?
Let you be with more success!
2.3.7. Congratulation on having an acumen and intelligent son
I am happy to learn from your son, who is on a business tour to this country Bangkok, that your company Thai Dresses Ltd. has as now completed ten successful years and that you have grossed a net profit of $50, 00, 000 in the last year.
Your son tells me of the great problems you had in getting an export license and that the new economic liberalization policy has proved a tremendous boon to you. I also hear that you are now on the international trade network for Indian Dresses. I have no doubt that you shall make it big, with your hard work and perseverance. It was wise of you to think of inducting your eldest son, Mr. Dais, into your business. Your son Dais is now our great guest now.
For his business acumen and intelligence, he will take your family business to a new height.
With all the best wishes.
2.3.8. Congratulation on having a little girl
Dear ….. ,
Congratulation to you for becoming the mother of a little angel girl.
I know you are always wished for a boy, but times are changing, Mary. Girls are becoming more popular with parents. The reasons are the social awareness created through media about equality of sexes. The women are making remarkable strides world over because discrimination has been weakened.
Girls are real solace in old age when boys go away on their ambitious missions and have little time for their parents.
Do write to me from time to time and let me know what advice I can give you as I am a mother of two girls for more than ten years.
May the mother and baby be safe and sound!
2.4. Letter of appology
2.4.1 Appology for being absent
I wish to apologize for not being able to attend your company’s New Year Eve’s Dinner even though I had said I would come.
Last 31 December, I suddenly received a telephone call at noon from my aunt in New York saying that my uncle had met with an accident and was seriously injured. So, I had to rush up to New York to see what I could. I am like a son to them as they are childless. The following few days saw me rushing back and forth between the hospital and my aunt’s house doing what I could for them. I am glad to say that my uncle is out of danger now. But, he has to stay in hospital for at least 3 months for his broken bones to mend.
Anyhow I hope you all had a successful dinner. Perhaps, I can attend the next one.
2.4.2. Letter apologizing for cancelled event
On behalf of the Organizing Committee, I wish to apologize for the cancellation of the Outdoor Barbecue Dinner last Saturday 5 May.
I know many of you brought your friends and family to the occasion and we had to cancel the function at the last minute. We had never anticipated that it would rain the whole of the last Saturday after having fine weather for a couple of weeks. It was our fault for not arranging to have temporary shelters erected in case of rain. Anyhow we have learned our lessons and will be more prepared in future.
As for the uneaten food, the GM says that you can have it. The meat and other delicious items are kept in freezer at the canteen. We can have on “First come first served” basis but no rushing please.
2.5. Letter of Encouragement
Next year is going to be a very busy year for all of us here in our company. You are going to find the market very challenging indeed.
As you know, our sales have increased by 50% last financial year and I must thank you all in the sales department for doing a fine job. However we can not rest on our laurels. For I what I have heard through the grapevine, our competitors are going to do their best competitive edge. With your enthusiasm and good strategy, I am sure you can do even better next year. Mr. Devadas will soon be informing you of the sales target for the next year.
The year is ending and I am sure all of you are looking forward to your bonuses. I have instructed Miss L to get them ready and you should have your bonuses before Charismas.
2.6. Letter welcoming a friend who is going to visit VN
I am thrilled to know that you want to visit Vietnam and learn about Vietnamese culture.
I would advise you to plan the visit anytime in the winter-December to February. The day temperature is about 10 degree C to 20 Degree C. Europeans mostly like this season. Summer is unbearable to you.
I am preparing an itinerary for you based on your interests in the historical places and the religious centers. Of course, bring your video camera along with you to shoot the beautiful and colorful sights. Since I shall be with you mostly, you need not worry about the problems of currency exchange, accommodation, transport etc.
Like in other countries foreigners can be fleeced at airport and railway stations. But I will certainly include the most important places such as Ha Long bay, Sapa in North Vietnam; and Hue, Hoi An in Central part; Ho Chi Minh city, Da Lat city in the South. There are other exquisite places which you should visit to know the best of Vietnam.
Of course the beautiful mausoleum and tombs in Hue will inspire your inspiration to pen a poem. You will no doubt love the Vinpearl in Nha Trang as well.
My daughters Linh and Lan are longing to see you. Do let me know soon after you buy your tickets to Vietnam.
With love and affection.
2.7. Birthday Greeting
I just remembered that it is your birthday on coming Saturday and so I must send you a birthday letter at once. And I begin with the old greeting: Many more returns of the day!
I hope the day itself will be peaceful and happy for you and that you will be spared in happiness and health to us all for years yet. We have already seen a kind and generous man/woman to us, and I take this opportunity to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you have done for us.
I was glad to hear that you are healthy and hearty and that you can take four mile walk every day and still play a couple sets of tennis every week.
I am sending a book which I feel you will like. You were always a great reader.
I am getting on well in my business and hope to enlarge it considerably by the end of this year.
Convey best wishes to both your wife and your son Mark.
With love and best wishes.
2.7. Letter of condolence
2.7.1. A husband who died of Cancer
Dear …. ,
I have no words to express my grief for you on the death of your dear husband, Bill. He fought a brave battle against cancer in the last days of his life. His cheer and refusal to fear must have worried death itself. Such is the true warrior of life.
Do not grieve my dear …. , for many young women have lost husbands and still live wonderful lives. The law of life is that an unknown destiny guides us. Do be calm and give your son Rector all the solace and love possible.
We came alone into this world and must leave it alone.
Kindly bear with your loss for the sake of your son, Rector. You must not allow him to feel completely deprived of love and security. Please do not hesitate to inform us if you need anything.
May peace be with you!
2.7.2. Condolence on the death of a husband, offering help
Dear Mrs. …,
I am writing to extend my deepest sympathies to you and your family. I was so very sad to hear about David. He was such a wonderful man.
I had the honor and the pleasure to know your husband and I was very sorry to hear about his passing away. I had the greatest respect for him and will miss working with him and playing golf with him, his generous nature and sharing his remarkable sense of humor.
Please let me know whether there is anything I can do to help during this difficult time. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I will light a candle for him tonight.
Yours as ever,